Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Notes from Critique Group - The Light Bringer and Other Bright Spots

Yesterday was an exciting day at our Coffee and Critique group. Our usual Tuesday spot at Rendezvous Cafe in O'Fallon, MO was hopping. With 17 of us there it was hard to keep up with what was going on. Good thing I had my nifty timer to keep us on track--sort of--well at least I tried.

We had a few special visitors. I didn't announce our first two guests beforehand to keep it a surprise.

I invited Lake Saint Louis Police Officers Chris Diguiseppi and Mike Force to drop by and talk to us about their new book, THE LIGHT BRINGER. Chris and Mike belonged to our Coffee and Critique group a few years ago when we met on Tuesday evenings at B&N. After we changed locations and went to a days-only schedule, they weren't able to continue coming, and we've missed them a lot.

Thankfully, they continued writing their book, THE LIGHT BRINGER. Yesterday they gave me a copy of their book, which I will review in the next couple weeks. I will also interview Chris and Mike about their publication journey. They had very kind words about how our group helped them in the early stages of their writing. If you get a chance, visit their website and view their book trailer. It is awesome.

Our other special surprise guest was Doyle Suit's youngest granddaughter, Jacqueline. Talk about a doll! She is a lovely ten-year old with a beautiful smile and a quick mind. She and Doyle joined several of us for lunch. It was lots of fun!

Also yesterday Alice Muschany--whom we like to call our own Chicken Soup Queen, with six stories and counting--gave me a copy of A CUP OF COMFORT FOR BREAST CANCER SURVIVORS, which includes her poignant story, "Hidden Treasures." This coming October, in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I will interview Alice and give away a copy of the book with her story in it.

Stay tuned. On Friday I'll post more announcements about coming events you won't want to miss.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I missed the meeting yesterday. It sounds like I missed a good one. And your right about the book trailer for the Light Bringer...it's awesome, as my grandson would say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lou (Cactus Country),
    We're sorry you missed, too, and I can't wait to read your new story.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Critique group meeting, huh? It sounds more like a party to me! Thanks for sharing the info. I'm off to check out that trailer now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it sounds like you have a great, and produtive, critique group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    Party? Did someone say party? Not us. We're serious writers, except when we're partying.

    Hi Janet.
    Our group is great.I've learned the most not from reading my WIPs, but from listening to critiquing the works of others.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to ask my principal if I can have every Tuesday off. Do you think she'll go for it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow 17 in a critique group, how DO YOU DO IT?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sioux,
    You could try. We would LOVE to have you. Maybe during breaks?

    Hi Linda,
    Years of practice. Our usual crowd is more like 10-12. We limit to five pages, not everyone reads each week, and we now use a bell and a timer to keep us on track. Sometimes it works.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...