Wednesday, August 10, 2011

THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett At Movie Theaters Today!

About a year ago, one of my writing friends (Becky Povich) raved during our critique group session about a book she'd read. She was so enthusiastic about the book she brought it the following week and said, "You've got to read this."

I did, and I'm thankful to Becky for loaning me her copy of THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett. After I finished it she passed it on to another woman in our group. Becky is so generous!

Back to the book. As a writer, Kathryn Stockett's journey to publication is inspiring. It took her five years to write the book. She received more than 45 rejections from agents before having her novel published by Amy Einhorn Books in 2009.

THE HELP has been translated into 40 languages, has sold more than three million copies, and has been on the New York Times bestseller list for two years.

Talk about an inspiration!

A few of our critique group members have talked about the book, and just about everyone in both Bunco groups I belong to--my old neighborhood one and the one I sub for with my former co-workers--have talked about reading the book and planning to see the movie.

I mistakenly thought the movie opened last Friday, and my sister and I were set to go until I looked at the movie schedule and discovered it doesn't open until today. So, I plan to see THE HELP in the next day or so.

If you haven't read THE HELP, here's a link to a synopsis of the story. If you see the movie, please let me know what you think.

12 comments:

  1. I just finished THE HELP. Fabulous novel by a rookie writer. I have recommended it to all my friends. I am a fledgling novelist and was truly inspired by Ms. Stockett to keep plodding along (although I know that achieving this kind of success is about as likely as winning the lottery).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although we want to write lots and forever, writing ONE book with the impact of this one would be heavenly. Can you imagine how it feels to have put words on a page that drew and thrilled so many readers as this one did? It was so exciting to read not just beacuse of the story but the writing! A friend and I plan to go this afternoon if the lines aren't too long. We fear there will be long lines around here at our small theater since so many people have read and loved it. Will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try and see the movie today. And I do have the book on my shelf, apparently I picked it up at B & N months ago and forgot about it...I'll read it on the next trip I take. Thanks for the synopsis of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Donna! Thanks for the reminder about the movie opening today, and for mentioning little old me! I would LOVE to see it with another writer or two. That would make it all the better, wouldn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a movie I want to see. It looks so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Holly,
    You are right about the chances of hitting it big ala Kathryn Sockett is like hitting the lottery, but I admire her persistence.

    Hi Claudia (Bookie),
    Good luck with the short lines.

    Hi Lou (Cactus Country),
    Have fun at the movies. You need a break!

    Hi Becky,
    You are welcome.

    Hi Clarissa,
    I agree!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read it earlier this summer. I've already made plans to see it Thursday. I'm even working around my son's registration time to pick up his 8th grade schedule. We're morning movie people out here in the sticks. Going to the 10:00 a.m. showing. My mom hasn't read the book, but wants to see the movie because of the commercials and clips on her daytime talk shows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read the book, plan to see the movie, hopefully while it's in the theaters because I'm kind of slow with things like that... never did make it to the show for Water for Elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see the movie! I'd like to find someone to see it with, not really into going to the movies by myself, not since I inadvertently went on a date night...on Valentine's Day.

    I'm such a dope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll pick up the book and see the movie. It's great to see this happen first time out. It is a motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Val,
    Hope you enjoy it.

    Hi Lynn,
    I didn't see Water for Elephants either. Maybe when it's out on DVD.

    Hi JFC,
    Same here. Yikes! I bet going to date night on Valentine's Day was quite an experienct.

    Hi Sally,
    The movie has had mixed reviews, but I rally want to see it for myself.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this two years ago and loved, loved, loved it! Highly recommended it to everyone, and loaned my copy out so many times it's looking rather dog-eared. I was worried about the movie because so often movie scripts play havoc with the story. However, from what I'm hearing, sounds like the movie will be good!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...