Saturday, August 6, 2011

Happy Birthday, Lucille Ball - We All Loved Lucy

Today would've been the 100th birthday of Lucille Desiree Ball. We knew her as Lucy, the wife of Desi Arnaz, and Lucy Ball from the I Love Lucy show--and its spinoffs.

Last night at Bunco we talked about Lucy, her life, her family, and her career. I mistakenly thought her maiden name was Magillicuddy, but that was one of the names of her characters. Shows what I know.

We chatted about Lucy and Desi and Fred and Ethyl and how Lucy became a mom later in life. One of the Bunco gals said that she read that Lucy insisted Ethyl (Vivian Vance) wear frumpy dresses so she wouldn't outshine Lucy. We had a good laugh at that.

This morning I clicked over to Wikipedia to do some research (that's where the photo above is from) and was surprised to read about Lucy's involvement in politics, particularly the Communist Party in her early years. But I was pleased to read about her work with the USO, her being awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom later in life, and even having a postage stamp in her honor.

Thinking about Lucy Ball brings a smile to my face. I remember some of my favorite episodes from I Love Lucy--grape stomping with Ethyl, working at a factory with chocolate covered bananas, and skulking around to get glimpses of movie stars.

As we remember Lucy Ball today, my question is: Do you have a favorite episode from I Love Lucy, or a favorite Lucy moment?

14 comments:

  1. Donna, I always remember Lucy on her birthdate because it's the same as my mother's. She would've been 96 today.

    As far as favorite Lucy episodes, I think we all love the chocolate factory one! There's so many, but of course they don't come to mind at the moment. BUT, one of my favs is when Lucy gets locked in a huge walk-in freezer in the apartment building basement!

    Thanks for the sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The candy factory episode was one of my favorites. My sister and I used to watch reruns; we probably saw every episode of her early show.

    Happy weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky,
    Happy birthday to your mom! It's so cool she shares a birthday with Lucy.

    Hi Karen,
    Thanks. Lucy made an impact on just about every American who grew up in the 50s and beyond.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Camping Trip. Lucy insists that Ricky take her camping. Ethel sneaks along to help her, which results in Lucy "shooting" a duck that is already plucked and dressed. Ricky is shocked when it falls from the sky.

    My boys will even sit down and watch Lucy if it's already on the TV, even though they swear they don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val,
    It is great that your boys will watch Lucy. Good comedy has no age limit.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was so many great episodes, it is hard to pick only one favorite. I remember one where they were baking bread in their kitchen and it got so big it came out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her early show with Desi is the ones I remember watching more in reruns although she had later shows that I remember my folks watching. She is a surprise to catch in movies in the pre-Desi days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucy stomping the grapes. Lucy and Ethyl madly eating chocolates. There were so many wacky episodes. I grew up with Lucy. I was almost 12 years old when I Love Lucy came on the scene. I absolutely could NOT miss watching her each week on our small black and white TV. Those were the days....
    Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  9. The episode when she was doing a commercial for the vitamins. There were so many. Thanks for the memories, Donna. I loved Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many memorable episodes. There are several episodes where Lucy "snuck" into Ricky's show as a dancer, and her facial expressions as she tried to fit in gracefully are priceless.

    She was genius at what she did...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet,
    Good one!

    Hi Sally,
    You are right. I was surprised to read about her movie career before the Lucy Show.

    Hi Ann,
    Yep. Those really were the days.

    Hi Linda,
    I remember the vega-veta-vitamin commercial episode, too. It was a hoot.

    Hi Sioux,
    Lucy's facial expressions were so unique and expressive. She had a gift!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like so many, I love Lucy! Used to watch her in B&W on the TV in my parents' room. First came I Love Lucy, and then the Patty Duke Show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lisa,
    The Patty Duke Show was always fun.
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like everyone else, I certainly loved Lucy. There are so many epsisodes I've seen a million times, yet they always make me laugh. One of my favs is the vita-meata-vegimin bit. It brilliantly showcased Lucy's mastery of observation and physical comedy. Her facial expressions and shudder of disgust...perfect!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...