As a follow-up to my recent posts about how Joplin residents and writers are helping heal after the May 22 F-5 tornado in Joplin, Missouri, I found information about the Storm Country Anthology on Claudia's Page. Claudia is the president of the Joplin Writers' Guild. Here's what I found on her blog:
"The Joplin Writers' Guild and the Missouri Writers' Guild are going to join forces to produce a small book of weather related stories and poems. The proceeds from the book sales will all go to the Joplin school system to buy books for the libraries they lost. Two grade schools, a high school, and a Catholic grade school were lost that I know of right now. Estimates are in the millions to replace these schools and the fall term is only three months away!"
Theme: Storms and severe weather in the Midwest, including tornadoes, floods, snow, ice, and wind.
Who can submit: Midwest writers**
What: Original work of Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry
* Maximum of three submissions per author/poet
* Fiction - Any genre up to 1,500 words
* Poetry - Up to 30 lines each
* Nonfiction - Features, essays, memoirs up to 1,500 words
When: Submission period is June 1-July 15, 2011
How: Submit typed Word document in 12-point Times New Roman font
* Include name, address, phone number, and e-mail address on first page of submission
* For prose, three-space paragraph indention and double-spaced manuscript
* For poetry, single-spaced manuscript
* Number pages
* Proofread carefully and check spelling and grammar
* Author retains all rights
* Include third-person author bio no longer than 75 words
Where: E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or
Mail to: Claudia Mundell,
After the Storm Country Anthology is published (estimated pub date is at the end of the summer) I will post information here about how to purchase copies.