Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Not Your Mother's Book: On Being a Mom Is Out -- and I'm In It!

Yesterday on the front porch I did a happy dance (actually it was more of a stumble) as I carried into the house the box of my contributor copies of NYMB: On Being a Mom.

The Publishing Syndicate book, edited by Dahlynn McKowen, Ken McKowen, and Dianna Graveman, has 64 stories by moms about raising their families.

While I haven't read all the stories, many of those I did read were laugh-out-loud funny. Others were warm and humorous in a sweet kind of way. The cover depicts the sassy, yet humorous, tone of the stories in book--and the candid snapshots inside are great!

Julie, Erik, and me
On page 57 you'll find my true story, "A Hairy Situation," about a shopping adventure my sister Kathleen and I took with our sons while our daughters were in school.

Let's just say my towheaded, blue-eyed, four-year-old son, Walt (Erik), made the trip memorable.

You can find this photo of my daughter Julie, son Erik, and me on page 60 of the anthology.

Next month, just in time for Mother's Day, several local contributors, including editor Dianna Graveman and yours truly, will be signing copies of the anthology at a sponsored event.

If you can't make it to the signing and would like to purchase a copy signed by me, send an e-mail to dvolkenannt (at) charter.net and I'll provide details.

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Donna! Love the photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on this publication, Donna. The cover looks awesome and I'm sure the stories are as well! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      Thanks! I miss you and RJ and family too. Hope your growing family is doing well. Love to you all!

      Delete
  3. Such a precious photo, Donna! And I'll bet your story is a doozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy,
      Thanks! The experience was one I've never forgotten--and it happened about 40 years ago.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully, I'll get my copies today and I'll head for your story first (okay, so I may check out my own since I get such a trill when I make a book).

    Love the picture (and the outfit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,
      As usual, your story is a hoot, and I imagine you have a couple of cute vintage outfits like that too.

      Delete
  5. What a priceless picture you shared! Thank you. Know how good it felt to find those books...to see YOUR pages! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia,
      Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy the photo. I imagine you have some favorite mom stories and photos as well!

      Delete
  6. Love the post, your story, AND the photo, Donna! Thanks for posting this, and thanks for contributing to the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dianna, for championing my story and doing such a wonderful editing job.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations Donna! So excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations - can't wait to read your story. Such a cute picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! And the photo is great. Thanks for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna--The photo is priceless, and I can't wait to read your story. (Apparently my mail carrier is slower than yours.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kids say the darnedest things! Loved your story. And the photo, too.

    Unlike last time, when my two boxes of two different titles were lost...I got my shipment last week. I guess the folks at the dead-mouse-smelling post office have perfected their technique. I'm on page 81 in this one. The Christmas concert from not-heaven, as I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Donna! I love the photo of you with your two kids. Wishing you a wonderful book signing! Wish I lived close enough to stop by for the event.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Karen,
    Thanks. I'm excited too!

    Hi Lynn,
    Thanks! I like the photo too. It brings back happy memories.

    Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for your kind words.

    Hi Sioux,
    I love the story about your son. Had me in stitches!

    Hi Val,
    The story about your son's performance at the Christmas event was hilarious!

    Hi Clara,
    Thanks. You are so sweet to stop by and leave such kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Donna! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your photo, looking forward to the book signing. I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, Donna! This is awesome. I am so proud of you. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats, Donna! I have yet to start reading the book, but I'm sure it's a hoot. Was planning to be at the signing but something came up, so I'll have to miss, drat the luck.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Donna. Love the pic!

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...