Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cactus Country II Is Now Available

Last week, while I was getting ready to leave for the Erma Bombeck Workshop in Dayton, my good friend Lou Turner, who is the Publisher and Editor of High Hill Press, took time from her unbelievably busy schedule to drop by my house and deliver a copy of Cactus Country (Volume II).

Even though Lou is an award-winning writer and publisher, she is sweet and considerate like that.

Anyway, I'm so excited that my short story "Keeping Faith" is included in the Cactus Country Volume II anthology, along with stories, articles, and poems from some famous Western writers, as well as a few writing friends.

If you like reading about the West, or if you enjoy good writing, Cactus Country II is an anthology not to be missed. 

The anthology includes works from: Dusty Richards, Jory Sherman, Delois McGrew, Brett Cogburn, Lucia St. Clair Robson, Pat Carr, Claudia Mundell, Ellen Gray Massey, Regina Williams, W. E. (Bill) Mueller, and many more talented writers.

Yesterday at critique group two writers purchased copies from Lou then asked for my autograph. What fun!

So, I hope you'll gitty up, pony up a few bucks, and get yourself a copy of this anthology. 

Here's a link to the Cactus Country book store with information on how you can buy a copy, as well as a link to submission guidelines if you want to submit something for a future Cactus Country anthology.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Donna!

    (And I remember the first time someone asked me to sign my story in an anthology - it was an amazing feeling.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and have a wonderful time in Dayton!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like something my husband needs to while away the hours in his cabin down by the creek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good anthology, Donna. I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations - again! You lassoed another one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, Donna--I have to compete with Lynn's comment.

    Donna--ANOTHER anthology branded with the name "Donna Volkenannt." Yippee Yah!

    Watch the part in the Blues Brothers movie where they're playing in a country-western dive, and perform "Rawhide." I'm sure there's some writerly advice in the lyrics. "Ride 'em in." (Make note of those calls for submissions.) "Head 'em out." (Send out submissions.) "Rollin', rollin', rollin'." (Keep writing.) You get the idea...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patricia,
    The western theme is right up your alley.

    Hi Lynn,
    Thanks. Love your lassoed verb. You are so clever.

    Hi Sioux,
    thanks!
    I love the Blues Brother movie. Watching it always puts a smile on my face, and I do remember the country-western gig they had.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, and Sioux,
    How fun! The "Rawhide" scene in The Blues Brothers is one of my favorite scenes of all time. You two made my day.

    Missed you both at SW. We had scenes of "How Not to Read at Open Mics" that were fun. Bill read a knockout story, along with Jen H and Berta R'S prizewinners. You both missed receiving your accolades for Sioux's writing marathon and Donna's MWG awards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcia,

      Sounds like I missed a good meeting, but helping Cari get everything done for her prom kept me hopping on Saturday.

      Yay for Jen and Berta for being winners. And what can I say about Mr. Bill?

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy a good western story. Congrats, Donna!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...