Friday, February 19, 2010

Top 100 Writing Blogs to Improve Your Writing

Today in St. Peters, MO: Rain and snow, high 40 degrees. Maybe we should send some of our snow to Vancouver for the Olympics?

If you're looking for something to do while waiting for the snow to melt, here's a suggestion. Universities and Colleges. org has published a list of 100 blogs that will help you improve your writing "by providing inspiration, motivation, creativity and new techniques from experts, freelancers, and editors from every genre."

While I've only clicked on a few of the links, I have to check out a lot more. Many of them sound interesting and some of them are downright funny. How can I resist visiting blogs called: Evil Editor, Cute Writing, Throw Grammar from the Train, Flogging the Quill, Mens with Pens, or the Grammar Cop? And who knew there is a "Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar"?

Hope you all have a great weekend! Happy writing!

Donna

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Can't wait to check out these sites. Of course, it'll take me till next year...

    (I used to read Flogging the Quill...but if I don't add a link somewhere, I'll forget to read this (very worthwhile) blog (again).)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna! Thanks! What awesome information. I'll have to control myself, though, or I'll be reading blogs for way too many hours, and not doing the things I HAVE to do!! I love the name of "Mens With Pens"! It reminds me of the funny bits on the Wayans Brothers show years ago....In Living Color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cathy,
    Brilliant! I like that. And I have to say your grammar and punctuation skills are also brilliant. I especially marvel at your use of parentheses (which I often struggle with.)(or is it with). I think you should start another blog (in your spare time, right?)and call it Punctuation Princess or maybe Peaches and Punctuation, your living in Georgia and all.
    If you would, I would definitely be a frequent visitor because I could use the extra help.
    Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky,
    You are right about that. I could get lost and waste even more writing time learning how to improve my writing. So many blogs, so little time.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Donna. I'm finding it helps me just to touch bases with a few (note: a FEW) blogs before I start on my own work. Inspires me and gets me going. Thanks to all. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of places to browse. Thanks, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahaha! Yeah, I'm a (BIG) fan of the parentheses. (They don't call me the Punctuation Queen for nothing.) (Um, wait. Nobody calls me that. (Best not to say what "They" call me.))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Donna, Thanks for this great resource. Have you been able to leave a reply on my blog? I am so challenged by electronics. My husband says if it has more than one button, I can't figure it out. Perhaps that's because he needs three remote controls just to turn on T.V. and I can't figure out one of them!

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...