Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow, Glorious Snow - And a Link to a Contest

Today in St. Peters, MO: Sleet and snow, high 33 degrees.

Today's snowy weather reminds me of the Reading Writers Flash Fiction Contest I entered last month. The contest theme was SNOW. It was a fun contest with no entry fee. My story "Rule Number Three" made it through the first and second rounds and received an Honorable Mention in the final round. Out of 388 entries there was one winner and ten honorable mentions, so I felt good making it into the top eleven. What also made the contest fun was that some of my blogging buddies were also in the running.

The contest going on now is "Once Upon a Day." The lovely photo on the left is from the Reading Writers website.

According to the website, "The first line of your story must begin with: The sun rose... The last line of your story must end with: ...just as the sun went down."

The deadline is May 15, there's no entry fee, 1,000 words maximum. Grand prize is $100 and publication in The Verb. Visit the site for complete details.

Good luck!

5 comments:

  1. So many contests, so little time.

    The good news is all the opportunities help with my resolution to submit at least one story/essay per month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto!! And congrats on your Honorable Mention in the snow contest, Donna! I forgot what day the winner was going to be announced. I'll have to go back there and check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I know why your story ranked up there, in the Top Ten-you can write, girl! I just finished reading "The Shape of a Heart" from Mysteries of the Ozarks (that I won here at the Book Pub). And I thoroughly enjoyed it! (Well, as much as one can enjoy murdererous madwomen!)

    Thanks again, Donna! Happy mystery writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your honorable mention! :) Although I don't even know if I could write about SNOW. I hate it so much. :)

    Margo
    http://margodill.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...