Wednesday, February 24, 2010

NPR's Three Minute Fiction Contest - Round Three

Today in St. Peters, MO: Clearing, high 29 degrees.

Got a minute--or maybe three? Here's a contest for you. It's Round Three of NPR's Three Minute Fiction Contest. Their contest premise is: Send in an original short story that can be read in three minutes or less. This time they've provided a photo for writers to look at to write a story. The story must be no more than 600 words. Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on February 28, 2010. Only one entry per person. Here's a link with complete details.

NPR book critic Alan Cheuse will choose a winning story to be read on-air, and NPR will also post their favorite entries on their site.
Contest winner will be interviewed and have his/her story read on-air during Weekend All Things Considered and will receive an autographed copy of the Alan Cheuse book "To Catch the Lightning: A Novel of American Dreaming" and an autographed print-out of the Alan Cheuse short story "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941." (approximate value - $20.00).
I've jotted down a couple ideas for stories, and time permitting I'll submit something.

P.S. Sorry my postings have been spotty lately, but it has been a busy week. If I post tomorrow it will be later in the day because I'm chaperoning a field trip with Michael's class to see "The Wizard of Oz" at a local high school. I'm excited about the trip; it should be fun.

6 comments:

  1. Have fun at Wizard of Oz! If you win this contest (which there could be a good chance that you do if you find time to enter), then let us know when your story will be read. That would be exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, I may give it a whirl. Enjoy the Wizard...what a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Margo,
    Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it, even though I'll be outnumbered in the van--five 5th graders to one of me.
    It would be exciting. If only I can write one by then.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat,
    You should try the contest, especially with your being such a "whiz" writing 6-word stories.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you back, Donna. Feared you might have caught something. Thanks for posting this NPR thing...I did the last one. Didn't get anywhere, but it was fun. My wheels are turning on this one, hope I can find the time to get soemthing in by Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...