Thursday, February 18, 2010

Irish Inspirations Anthology Now Available

Today in St. Peters, MO: Light snow, currently 25 degrees. I saw the sun today and can hear birds chirping outside my office window. Yay!

The sunshine isn't the only reason I'm in such a good mood. On Tuesday I received a lovely surprise in the mail--two copies of Irish Inspirations: Stories and Wisdom That Celebrate the Magic of the Emerald Isle from Blue Mountain Arts in Boulder, Colorado. Last year I submitted an essay titled "Coming Home," which was accepted for publication in the anthology. I was paid promptly and told the I would receive two copies of Irish Inspirations upon publication.

Those two copies couldn't have arrived at a better time. The first one, which I have autographed, is going to be included as part of an Irish-themed basket my sister Bridget has been putting together for a fundraiser raffle. Bridget has also collected donations and other items for the basket, which include a bottle of Jameson's whiskey, a gift certificate to McGurk's Irish Pub in O'Fallon, lots of items with shamrocks on them, a clock, and other lovely gifts.

The fundraiser this weekend is a benefit for my niece, Alexandra Duly, who at the age of 22 was diagnosed with brain cancer last fall. The fundraiser for Alexandra will be at The Pine Room, a cozy tavern in the older section of St. Charles. The Pine Room is not too far from Lindenwood University. The address is 1102 Perry Street, Saint Charles, Missouri. The phone number is: 636-754-6237. I'll be there around 4 p.m., so if any locals are in the neighborhood, I hope you can stop by and visit.

Oh, you can also purchase copies of Irish Inspirations directly from the publisher, Blue Mountain Arts, or at places like Carcker Barrel Restaurants.

Sláinte! (That's Cheers! in Irish Gaelic)

6 comments:

  1. Very interested to hear about your Irish connections. I think we all are Irish somewhere along the line. Have you been to Ireland? I have longed to go for so long, and I fear now I might not make it in this lifetime! My great grandfather was a McCardy rasied by McKinneys. He was an orphan with very few details and was picked up in Topeka. It just hit me last week, maybe he was on an orphan train!

    I am sorry to hear about your niece. Is Briget the mother of Alexandra or another aunt? Sounds like she is creating a great basket! I would like to have sent my friends (live near Kirkwood) out there, but I just got an email they would be in Columbia this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the publication, Donna, it looks like a wonderful anthology (and just in time for St. Paddy's Day, too!).

    Good luck with the fundraiser. I hope your niece is responding well to treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I just sent poems to Blue Mountain Arts. Congratualtions on your publication. Now I can say I know someone in that book. Hope your niece is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, congratulations! The book cover is beautiful.....and Blue Mountain Arts! Wow! We all know them! In my younger years, I spent a small fortune on their greeting cards! I'm sorry to hear about your niece. I hope the fundraiser is a huge success and that she is getting wonderful treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bookie,
    In 1995 two of my sisters and I went to Ireland. It was a wonderful trip I will always remember.

    Speaking of orphan trains. One of my grandmothers was an orphan, and I did some research on the orphan trains but could never find out if she came to Missouri on an orphan train or not. The University of Missouri published a book on the Orphan Train several years ago. It is a fascinating read if you can find a copy.

    While doing my research, I also discovered that a Catholic organization in New York had their version of the orphan trains--called Mercy Trains. After many Catholics orphans headed west, they were adopted by non-Catholic families and raised in different faiths. The members of the Catholic charitable organizations wanted to try and place the Catholid orphans with families of the same religion. Interesting, yes?

    Bridget is Alexandra's aunt and godmother. Alexandra is my brother Tim's only daughter. We are all praying she will beat the cancer and are asking everyone to remember her in their prayers.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pat, Linda, and Becky,
    Thanks for your words of encouragement and support. We all are praying for Alexandra.
    Donna
    Linda,
    The other day I read on your blog the poem about watching your daughter dance. It gave me chills. I love that poem!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...