Here's a contest announcement from the Kansas City Writers' Group and Whispering Prairie Press. The contest has a category for most types of writing.
KCWG is a chapter of the Missouri Writers' Guild and publisher of Kansas City Voices magazine.
Whispering Prairie 2010 Poetry, Flash Fiction, and Essay Writing Awards
Prizes in Each Category: 1st place $100, 2nd place $50, 3rd place $25, plus one honorable mention for every 10 entries.
Open to all writers age 18 and up, except members of the Board of Directors of Whispering Prairie Press. All work must be the author’s original work.
Poetry: Any style, any subject. Limit: 36 lines
Flash Fiction: A complete fictional short story with a beginning, middle and end. 1,000 words or less
Non-fiction Personal Essay: 1,000 words or less
Submissions: All entries must be unpublished at the time of submission.
1. No limit on number of entries.
2. Submit hard copy with no name on manuscript.
3. Put word count for fiction or line count for poetry in the top right corner.
4. Include a cover sheet with name, address, e-mail, telephone number with area code, category, and title of entry. If author is a full-time college student, add the name of the school
5. Prose must be double-spaced in 12-point Times New Roman or Courier. Poetry may be single spaced.
6. Enclose SASE for next year’s guidelines. Entries not returned.
Entry fee: $5 for each entry or 3 entries for $10. (nonrefundable)
Full-time college students: 2 entries for $5 May mix categories.
Whispering Prairie Press Writing Awards
PO Box 8342
Prairie Village, KS 66208-0342
Postmark Deadline: June 30, 2010
Winners will be announced by August 1, 2010, and winners’ names posted at http://www.kansascityvoices.com/.Judges’ decisions are final.
Note: If you visit the KC Voices link you can also read their regular submission guidelines.
Today in St. Peters, MO: Windy, high 81 degrees.