Thursday, November 20, 2008

Seven Reasons NOT to Join a Critique Group

Today's forecast for St. Peters: Partly cloudy, high 39, low 17. Brrr. . . guess I better cover my potted pansies on the front porch tonight.


If you read last week's posts, you might remember my seven reasons to join a critique group.

Gee, I never thought that would be controversial, but apparently it is. On his blog, Midlist Writer, fellow-Missourian Sean McLachlan, a freelance writer specializing in history and travel, has gone snarky on me and posted his seven reasons NOT to join a critique group.

Sean's reasons are quite funny--and many of them ring true--in fact, even though I've never met Sean before, I think we may have belonged to the same critique group at one time or another. If you get a chance, check out his blog to read his seven reasons NOT to join a critique group. While you're there, check out the impressive list of books he has written.

In Sean's own words: "Just to be snarky, I blogged about seven reasons NOT to join a critique group. You can see them at:http://midlistwriter.blogspot.com/2008/11/seven-reasons-for-not-joining-critique.html"

Quick reminder: There's still time to enter to win a copy of A Cup of Comfort for Women, which includes my story, "Julie's Gift." Costs nothing but an e-mail to enter. Shoot an e-mail by Thanskgiving Day, Nov 27, to me at dvolkenannt@charter.net with Julie's Gift in the title. Be sure to include your name and mailing address (so I'll know where to send the book in case you win).

Jodi Webb of Pottsville, PA, the winner of A Cup of Comfort for Military Families, has already received her copy of the book and finished reading it. Jodi wrote that she is going to donate her copy, along with several other books, in a care package she's sending to local soldiers serving overseas. What a generous and thoughtful way for Jodi to share her good fortune!

Speaking of contests, be sure and check out yesterday's blog, including the comments from Connie Anderson, co-founder of the Armchair Interviews, which is sponsoring the Thanksgiving Short Story Contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...