Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Got Romance? Goldminds Publishing Call for Submissions - Short Deadline

Now that the World Series and Halloween are over, it's back to writing.

It's hard to believe it is already November. I've been reading posts about National Novel Writing Month lately. I tried it a few years ago and only made it through a few days. While I don't have the stamina for National Novel Writing Month, I'm trying to focus on shorter works. I'm not a romance writer, but here's a submission call out that got my attention. I read this call for submissions a few days ago and thought it might be of interest to my readers.

Editor Pat Smith, from Goldminds Publishing, is seeking romantic short stories for its first Valentine's Day anthology, which will be published in January 2012.

Pat is a smart, witty, and warm writer I met several years ago at a conference in Texas. I've heard Pat speak at writing events a few times since then, and she was a featured speaker at the Missouri Writers' Guild conference last April. Pat is now an editor at Goldmines Publishing putting together their first Valentine's Day anthology. She is looking for "vibrant, smart, heart-warming contemporary romances featuring modern men and women meeting and falling in love."

Word Count: 3,000-10,000

Setting/Characters: According to Smith, "We don't want every story set in Paris, New York City or London, featuring a billionaire or royal heir falling for his gorgeous but shy secretary. Try something different and a little more believable."

Heat index: "Moderate...warm, romantic and sexy...We definitely want to feel the chemistry between your lead characters, but don't make your descriptions OB/GYN explicit, so, not chaste, but not erotica either."

DEADLINE: Close of business on Friday, November 11, 2011.

Submit to: pbsmith@goldmindspub.com

Be sure to put "Embrace Valentine's Day Anthology" in the subject line of your e-mail.

Payment:  Writers whose stories are selected for the anthology will receive a one-time payment of $50.00.
For more information about Goldminds Publishing, visit their website.

Good luck!

8 comments:

  1. Speaking of "ordinary" romance. My son and some friends were talking (this was in 4th grade!)and saying where they would like to kiss a girl. Some were saying Paris or Disneyland and my son said, "McDonalds" which got some hoots. His reply, "I was thinking of a place where I really might, actually, kiss a girl." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip...I can never have something ready in time though, I fear. I am so behind anyMore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love romance! I am doing NaNo, but maybe I'll have something I can submit for this. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful contest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. I'll put on my thinking cap, or should I say, my thinking negligee?

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Claudia,
    I know exactly what you mean.

    Hi Lisa,
    Hats off to you for doing NaNoWriMo. Good luck if you submit to the anthology.

    Hi Clarissa,
    Thanks.

    Hi Pat,
    Tee hee. See, you're already thinking about the romance genre.

    Thanks everyone for your comments and good luck to anyone who enters.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good contest, thanks for the info. I have joined Picture Book Idea Month, where we come up with a new picture book idea every day for the month of November. I could not write a long novel in a month if I tried.

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...