Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fairy Tales are Hot, So Why Not Write One?

Once upon a time, life was very grim.

In case haven't noticed, fairy tales are hot. In the fall television line up alone I've found two network programs that are about fairy tales.

NBC has Grimm on Friday nights. I've watched a few episodes, and I find myself strangely attracted to the show. One of the main characters is a St. Louis native, so that got my attention. David Guintoli plays Nick Burckhardt, a detective and "Grimm-creature profiler." So far in the series, we've seen Little Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and a Jagerbar. Okay. That's one I hadn't heard of before. The program is scary and so far interesting, but with some violent scenes. When those come on, I cover my eyes and peek through my fingers.

Over on ABC, there's Once Upon a Time. It's a modern-day adaptation of Snow White, Prince Charming, and the Evil Queen. The action takes place in Stonybrooke, where the mayor is a controlling, evil, well - witch. Then there's Mary Margaret, the sweet teacher, and Emma Swan, the stranger who comes to town, and don't forget Jiminy Cricket and Rumpelstiltskin. The series is more sugar-coated than Grimm, but so far it's been entertaining.

If you're into writing fairy tales, here's a call for submission for adult writers from Vestal Review that caught my eye (it didn't really catch my eye; my eyes are still intact, but you know what I mean). 

* Theme - A twist on classic fairy tales. "About the yet unheard adventures of Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk, Snow White or any other well-known fairy tale character. Interpret the theme broadly and imaginatively, but incline toward a literary story."
* Flash fiction (limit 500 words)
* Deadline November 30, 2011
* State the source tale’s name before the title.
* No more than two submissions per author.
* Pay rates vary, depending on story length.
* "Stories of great merit receive up to $25 flat fee; 3 cents a word is a minimum pay in any case.”

** For complete details and to submit your story, click on their submission guidelines.

Good luck.

The End.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh. This sounds interesting. I love writing flash. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,
    You are welcome. Good luck!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this contest/market, Donna.

    I've watched a few episodes of Grimm and I feel the same way - it's oddly intriguing, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of those shows. I'm so behind the times that I finally watched the movie, Twilight. Interesting and attractive, in a ghoulish sort of way.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Madeline,
    You are welcome--and I agree.

    Hi Linda,
    I'm no fortune teller, but with the hot streak you're on, I see another publishing credit in your future.

    Hi Pat,
    I read the first Twilight book then lost interest. Guess vampires aren't my thing.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting. I also hide my eyes and peek through my fingers :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been watching both of these and so far like what they are doing. I'm not sure how far the stories can go but I'll hang in for the first season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janet,
    Hiding your eyes helps, doesn't it?

    Hi Sally,
    I agree.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yeah, I'm an unabashed fairy tale lover! I like the concept of Once Upon A Time, but I have a feeling if I miss one, I won't know what's going on--and that drives me crazy. Grimm, on the other hand, has a simpler concept and I can miss one without suffering FT angst. ;-)

    And thanks for that sub opportunity! I may have *just* the story for Vestal Review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Cathy,
    Thought you might like this one. And I bet you do have *just* the right story for VR.
    Good luck!
    donna

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...