If you're a fast writer -- or if you happen to have a military-themed poem, short story, or essay already written and are looking for a place to submit -- here is an opportunity you might want to check out.
Warriors Arts Alliance has a no-fee contest and call for submissions for Volume 2 of Proud to Be: Writing by American Warriors.
The editors are looking for poetry, fiction, essays, photographs, and interviews from military personnel, veterans, and their families.
Created by the Missouri Humanities Council, the Warrior Arts Alliance, and Southeast Missouri State University Press, this series of anthologies preserves and shares the perspectives of our military and veterans of all conflicts and of their families. It is not only an outlet for artistic expression but also a document of the unique aspects of wartime in our nation’s history.
Two types of entries: 1) anthology only; 2) contest and anthology
- 1. Anthology-only entry: mail your previously unpublished work with self-addressed, stamped envelope for notification to Warriors Anthology, Southeast Missouri State University Press, MS 2650, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701.
- 2. Contest and Anthology entry: email previously unpublished work to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entries must be sent electronically as Microsoft Word docs (or docx).
- Keep poems in one document (with 1st poem as title).
- Put your name and contact info on 1st page and nowhere else on the manuscript.
- Limit one submission in each category per person.
- Poetry: up to 3 poems (5 pages maximum).
- Fiction, essay, or interview: 5,000-word limit.
- Photography: up to 3 good-quality photos (will be printed in the book as b&w).
- Submissions exceeding the limits will be disqualified.
- Include a bio of 75 words or less with your submission.
- Winners & contributors will be notified by Nov. 1, 2013
Submission deadline is July 1 (postmark).
Visit the Warriors Arts Alliance website for more information.