Wednesday, July 8, 2009

July Contest Deadlines - Take A Chance on Winning

Today's forecast for St. Peters, MO: Chance of thunderstorms, high 89 degrees.

Nothing like a hot day to keep me inside writing. One productive way I spend my time between large writing projects is entering writing contests, although some of my writing friends claim it's a diversion from finishing my YA novel. But that's another story.

Over the years I've entered many writing contests, and I've even judged a few. Sometimes I think my submission is the greatest, but it doesn't win anything. Other times I send something I don't think is my best work, and it wins. Who knows? One thing for sure, just like the Lottery, you can't win if you don't play--or in this case--enter.

The contests below either have no entry fee or very affordable entry fees. All have deadlines in July.

July 18 - "Three-Minute Fiction" Contest is sponsored by National Public Radio. Thanks to Amanda H, a member of Saturday Writers, who e-mailed me about this contest. No fee to enter, a 600-word limit, and lots of guidelines to follow. I'm working on a story I hope to finish in time.

July 24 - White County Creative Writers - is a great group of writers from Arkansas who sponsor fun contests in conjunction with their annual conference. You don't have to attend the conference to enter. I've entered a few of this group's contests over the years--and won a couple times. The entry fee is $5 for first entry and $3 for all others.

July 31 - Green River Writers from Kentucky sponsor several contests each year--mostly poetry, but some fiction and one novel contest. The one contest I've had the most luck with is the Jim O'Dell Memorial Limerick Contest. I'm definitely not a poet, but writing Limericks is fun, and winning money for them is icing on the cake. Their entry fees are also affordable.

So, take a chance on winning. Good luck! If you enter and win, please let me know, so I can share your good news with my visitors.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for these contests, Donna! I like supporting writing groups (and I like it even better when I win :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cathy,
    You are welcome. I'm almost finished with one for the Jul 18 deadline and am working on a few entries for the other two contests.
    Good luck if you enter any of them, and please let me know when you win.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Old School Treasures in Missouri

If you look up the definition of "old school" in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, you will find "characteristic or evocative o...