Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November 2, All Souls Day: A Day to Remember the Dead

In the Catholic Church, the day after All Saints Day is called All Souls Day--a day set aside to remember loved ones who have died.

When I was a kid, I liked All Saints Day because we got a day off of school, which was really neat because after going out trick or treating on Halloween night, having a day off of school was an added treat.

But on November 2, All Souls Day, I thought it was kind of creepy to pray for dead people.

As an adult I've learned how important it is to remember loved ones who have passed away in prayer. For me it creates a connection between my loved ones who have died and a way to remember their lives. 

Some Latin American countries and communities in the United States commemorate All Souls Day (Día de los Muertos) with parades and festivals, candy skulls, and special prayers.

Here's a prayer I use to remember loved ones who have died:

Eternal rest grant them, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon them.
May their souls and the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Amen.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this post today, Donna, for many reasons. Thank you. I remember praying for so hard and so long at St. Martin de Poors in Hazelwood years ago. I only thought I knew loss then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudia,
    Thank you.
    I worried the post might sound too preachy, but I wanted to post the prayer again this year in case anyone else wanted to remember a loved one today.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Donna, it is a wonderful prayer, so appropriate and comforting to those who know loss. Grace and peace be yours today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post and lovely sentiment, Donna. I especially appreciate it because I used to hate having my birthday on Day of the Dead. Then my father died on my birthday and it took on new meaning. Prayers to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post and great reminder, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sally,
    Thanks. Same to you.

    Hi Tammy,
    Thanks. Sorry to hear about your dad, but I bet you have a lot of special memories.

    Hi Linda,
    Thanks.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...