Friday, November 11, 2011

Memory Tricks and Saying Thanks to Our Veterans

When I was younger I prided myself on my good memory, which helped me do well in school. My memory is still pretty good, although sometimes I'll walk into a room to get something and by the time I get there I'll forget what it was I was going to get. I attribute that to getting older and having too much on my mind.

To help me remember throughout my life I've used what I call "memory tricks," which I found out actually have a name. They are called  mneumonics. 

In grade school my classmates and I learned to use HOMES to remember the Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior) and A Rat In The House Might Eat The Ice Cream to spell (ARITHMETIC). In music class, it was FACE and Every Good Boy Does Fine. For spelling, there was: "i before e, except after c or when sounding like A, as in neighbor or weigh." And what child doesn't remember jumping rope to "Thirty days have September, April, June, and November. All the rest have 31 except February with 28, but leap year makes it 29." And the list goes on.

My own birthdate helped me remember my multiplication tables. That's because the day of my birth, multiplied by the month of my birth, equals the year I was born in. Guess I'm lucky that way.

I still use dates to remember numbers. If someone tells me an address or a phone number and I don't have pen and paper I'll convert the numbers into dates. For example, if someone says their phone number is 699-0408, I'll make a mental note it's June 99, April 8. Might sound confusing, but it works for me.

Today is 11/11/11, a day that will be easy to remember for birthdates and wedding anniversaries. It also is a special day because it's the day to say thanks to our veterans, and those who wear the uniform. Yesterday my husband Walt (a Vietnam Veteran) was surprised when he received a text from the dad of one of our grandson's friends. The text thanked Walt for his service.The man knew Walt would be out getting ready to deer hunt today, so he texted him a day ahead of time to say thanks. What a thoughtful gesture!

I was pleased to see the list of local businesses who are saying thanks to veterans and active duty servicemembers with special discounts, and even free giveaways. Restaurants include: Applebee's, Chili's, Hooters, Krispy Kreme, Golden Corral, Subway, Arby's, Texas Roadhouse, TGI Fridays, Outback Steakhouse, and several others. Here's a listing I found in the Steals and Deals Blog of the St. Louis Post Dispatch online.

So, whatever way helps you remember, please take a few minutes to remember to say thanks to our vets and active duty servicemembers. Here are the family member veterans I am thankful for: James P. Duly, Sr. (deceased),  Walter Erik Volkenannt (deceased), Walter Volkenannt, and James P. Duly, Jr.

12 comments:

  1. Hey Donna! I learned just about every one of those tricks, too. I was going to mention another one...but I forgot! LOL

    And another great reminder about Veteran's Day.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky,
    Isn't it funny what we remember from years ago?

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Locally we had some service members returning yesterday and the mayor asked that we turn on our porch lights and leave them on in honor of all veterns.

    So many to be thankful to and for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A memorable post, Donna. ;-)

    (And a big thank you to all your veterans!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally,
    What a thoughtful way to remember veterans!

    Hi Cathy,
    Thanks.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I am on a flight and there is a soldier, I will ask the steward to announce--at the end of the flight--if everyone would wait so the soldier can get their overhead stuff and leave first. It's a small way to say thanks for all they do.

    Please extend my thanks and gratitude to your husband. Vietnam was a horrible war--from what the vets say--but thankfully, we had young men who were willing to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sioux,
    What a sweet gesture.
    Thanks for your kind words for Walt. He is getting ready for deer hunting with Michael tomorrow, so he's in a happy place.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very thoughtful post, Donna. Thank you. And thanks to Walt for his service.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a science teacher, I am indebted to ROY G BIV for helping me remember the order of wavelengths in the visible light spectrum. Check it out when you see your next rainbow...Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. Red has the longest wavelength.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post Donna - pass on thanks to your husband. I'll give my husband an extra kiss. And sending love to all those who have served and who are serving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your post. I have many veterans in my family, my dad served during WWII and my husband during the Vietnam era. I can't remember the times I've went into a room and forgot what I went after :o) I always use my knuckles to remember how many days each month has.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It truly is a day to reflect.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...