Friday, September 17, 2010

A Tale of Two Covers - Ala Chicken Soup

At the beginning of the month I received confirmation that my essay "Unexpected Joy" will be included in the next Christmas Soup for the Soul Christmas book. I've been excited ever since.

The editor's e-mail informed me that the release date will be in October or November and the book will be a special gift edition available exclusively at Barnes and Noble and Wal-Mart.

For the past two weeks I've visited the Chicken Soup for the Soul website hoping to get a sneak peek at the cover. It hasn't appeared there yet.

But I did find out something interesting about the covers on the Barnes and Noble and Wal-Mart sites.

Tales of Christmas (red cover) will be available in hard cover exclusively at Barnes and Noble.

Correction--added after my initial post: The Christmas Magic (blue cover) will be sold in paperback at Wal-Mart, but my essay is not in this book. My essay will be in Chicken Soup for the Soul, The Gift of Christmas, which is also a red cover.

Both covers look great to me, but I can't decide which one I like better.

How about you? Red or blue?

16 comments:

  1. I prefer the blue. The red one looks a bit too much like a coloring book page, but that could be my poor vision.

    I guess I know what many people will be buying for gifts this holiday season (and they can read them and gently turn the pages BEFORE they wrap them up and tape on the bows)...

    Please tell us what stores' shelves YOU are going to clean out, so we don't go to the same ones and be disappointed because the spot is bare...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! Will you be available for autographs:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I'm torn. I like the blue cover better, but I like the idea of the red one being in hardcover. Either way, your name will look great in both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sioux,
    The editors are very generous. I get five copies of each book, in addition to $$. With my large family those books will be gone.
    Reading before wrapping is a great idea. I admit I've done that once or twice.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Madeline,
    Thanks. I wonder if the actual books will look much different from the covers.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna,
    I can't decide. I like them both for differnt reasons. They will both be big sellers. Congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great and both books are colorful. Even with my love of blue, I would choose the red for Christmas...all that color suggests frivolity of the season.

    Thank you for dropping by my car essay...seems most readers only want to read about tea cups or maybe writing, but I blabber so much, the topics are always whatever "sprouts". :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Donna, I love them both and what is great it appears as if you have two different published books.
    How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like them both, but prefer the blue. How great to have a hardcover and paperback version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna,

    The blue is my favorite. I just think it looks so classic. Congrats.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  11. The red definitely showcases the Chicken Soup name, while the blue emphasizes the title more. Interesting marketing strategy, but I have to wonder why they did it that way?! Either way, you have a great story in a beautiful package. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Donna! Both of the covers are beautiful. I like them both, for different reasons, too. If I had to choose....hmmm...don't know if I could!! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Donna. I prefer the blue. It looks like Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're both wonderful, but the blue one has a little more magic sprinkled on it :)

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...