Friday, September 3, 2010

Momentary Confusion and Unexpected Joy

After momentary confusion, unexpected joy is what I felt this morning while drinking a cup of tea and reading e-mails. As I scrolled through my messages, I found one from yesterday afternoon.

Editor D'ette Corona from Chicken Soup for the Soul wrote to congratulate me that my story "Unexpected Joy" has been selected . . . .

Oh, wow! That's great news!

. . . to appear in their proprietary Christmas manuscript.


Wait, what? Proprietary Christmas manuscript?

I kept reading.

"Proprietary" means the book will not be widely available, but only at specific merchants during the Christmas season. Okay, that sounds good.

In this case the merchants are Wal-Mart and Barnes and Noble. Woo hoo! That sounds fantastic!

At Wal-Mart, the book will be called Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Gift of Christmas.

At Barnes & Noble, it will be called Chicken Soup for the Soul: Tales of Christmas.

Both books will be special gift editions -- hardcover, with pretty endpapers and a red ribbon place holder. Sounds lovely!

I will receive my payment and complimentary copies of each book in October or November. Cha-ching!

The editors are not sure of the exact release dates yet. That's okay. I can wait.

Once the release date is announced and cover is available I will post it here.

I am so excited!

I am also very greatful to the members of Coffee and Critique for their suggestions and comments on my manuscript-- especially Alice who helped with last-minute suggestions the night of the deadline.

Thanks guys and gals, you are the best!

23 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Donna! Fantastic news!

    I just learned of someone else I know getting into that same anthology. Good news all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna--Congratulations! It sounds like it was Christmas in September!

    Could you give us a little "teaser" to keep us on the edge of our seats as we wait for it to come out?

    On a side note, I regretted I had to leave before the reading/evening was finished last night, but it had been a long day, I had not been home yet, and...(I could keep on complaining, but why?) I thoroughly enjoyed both book readings---what did I miss during the second half of the night?

    You must be so thrilled with the news... Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Donna! That's great news!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous news, Donna!! And I remember when you read that story at C&C and you mentioned later about extra special help from Alice, right up to the deadline hour! Good for you! And another wonderful example of a great writing group and camaraderie! I'm very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unexpected Joy is a perfect title for the email you received too! That's awesome news - congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to hear some good news...glad for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, this is wonderful news! Aren't you on a cloud? Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow--congratulations! Was this the one you read when I was there in July? It really put me in the Christmas spirit, which is nothing short of a miracle. I have a hard time feeling that way in December...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Donna. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Donna, for a job well done! Good news is always needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!!! IT sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Madeline,
    Thanks. That's great news about your friend also being in the anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sioux,
    Thanks.
    Hmm. A teaser: The story is about a Christmas time event a few years ago. Presents kept showing up on our doorstep on the Sundays before Christmas. No note, no sign of who left them.

    After you left Michael talked more about his dad's experiences. Then he and Bill signed books. It was a fun time. Sorry we didn't get to visit more.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pat and Becky,
    Thanks. I am excited to be in the same CS club with you two!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jemi and Claudia,
    Thanks. I'm excited about it.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda,
    Thanks. It is exciting news. Speaking of news I saw a photo of you and several of your CS pals in the CS newsletter, which covered your signing at Main Street Books.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lynn, Lisa, Barb, and Terri,
    Thanks. I am looking forward when the books come out.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Tammy,
    You have a good memory. It was an eariler version of the essay I read in July. After critique I dashed home and made lots of changes, including changing the title from "Advent Friends" to "Unexpected Joy."
    Saw the photo of you, Linda, Becky, Pat, Patsy, and several others from your book signing at Main Street Books.
    You all looked great.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mary-Nida,
    Thanks. You are so sweet.
    Donna

    P.S. to Tammy,
    I meant a later version of what I read.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. That is fantastic, Donna! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations Donna,

    When you read the story at the critique I knew it was a winner.

    An excellent story and great it can now be shared with even a larger audience.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gotcha. Either way, am looking forward to reading it again!

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...