Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Green River Writers and Springfield Writers' Guild Seeking Contest Submissions

Now that summer is winding down and my teenage grandchildren will be heading off to school next week, I'm hoping to write more and -- if time permits while working on my novel and preparing for speaking engagements this fall -- submit to writing contests. 
Here are announcements from two writing organizations which have sent me their contest guidelines and asked me to share the guidelines with other writers. 
Both organizations have categories open to non-members.

The first is Green River Writers. According to their website, Green River Writers is, "a non-profit organization founded in Kentucky in 1984 to support writers through education, promotion and fellowship."
Here is a link to Green River Writer  contest guidelines. The deadline for submissions for the Green River Writers Contests is August 15 August 31. Contest categories are mostly poetry, but there are fiction and non-fiction categories as well.
The second is Springfield Writers' Guild, a chapter of the Missouri Writers' Guild. The deadline for submission to the SWG annual contest is September 15. Here are guidelines for the SWG contests, which has contest categories for poetry, fiction, and non-fiction.
Good luck if you submit!

7 comments:

  1. Thx, Donna! I have entered these in past years. Last year for Green River I placed second in the Rubye Fowler award, and a memoir based on that piece was picked up for publication. It will appear in an anthology from a San Francisco publisher in September. I'm very excited! But in the guidelines the deadlines is Aug 31, 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marcia. More time is always good, and congratulations on your win and publication!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already gotten things out to Springfield. Worked hard trying to tidy up things before September/October as we have a full calendar then. Saw hummingbirds today so I am thinking early fall as they usually start migration first of September...maybe they are tired of rain too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will make a concerted effort to churn something out. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Claudia,
    Good for you! I'm not sure if I'll submit to either contest. it all depends on my workload.

    Hi Val,
    You are welcome. Good luck if you submit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info, Donna! Your blog is a valuable resource for writers.

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...