Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Blog Me, Baby - The Blood Red Pencil

The other day I realized it's been a long time since I've done a Blog Me, Baby post, which is my recommendation to readers of blogs they might find interesting and useful.

I ran across The Blood Red Pencil after visiting Colorado writer Patricia Stoltey's blog. A few months ago I won a box of books on Patricia's blog, including her own book "Prairie Grass Murders," which is a very good read. Patricia's blog is chock full of information about writing and books, and she has links to several other helpful blogs.

One blog linked to hers that I routinely check out is The Blood Red Pencil, where Patricia and other writers take turns posting their "sharp and pointed observations about good writing."

Today on The Blood Red Pencil, Patricia posts about a thorny problem for writers: Point of View. Yesterday's post was a Q&A with illustrator Eliza Wheeler on "Being Present." The Monday, July 26 post "Ten Steps to a Better Story" by award-winning author and journalist CJ Sellers, was also enlightening. Two of CJ's tips caught my attention. Tip #7 discussed when it's okay to tell and not show, and #10 laid out the order of importance of the components of a novel. Hint: It's all about story.

So, if you're looking for a place to pick up advice and tips on writing from those in the know, The Blood Red Pencil is my Blog Me, Baby site recommendation for the month of July.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks, Donna! I'll have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved a red pencil-guess you can take the teacher out the classroom, but...

    (Neat site-I've already bookmarked it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that site - Pat is terrific :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna! Thanks a bunch for linking to my blog and The Blood-Red Pencil. We all appreciate it a whole bunch.

    There are some new contributors to The Blood-Red Pencil, so stay tuned for new topics and new "points of view" on writing and editing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky,
    Both sites are great resources for writers.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cathy,
    Yep, those red pencils make an impression. One of my teachers must've been a softie becuase she always used a blue pen.
    Speaking of pens and pencils. I just finished up filling part of Michael's school supply list. No red pencil, but red pens abound, plus a ream of copy paper
    Donna
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patricia,
    I'm always happy for solid writing advice. I'll check it out.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shout out about the Blood Red Pencil. Those of us who contribute to it try our best to make the posts helpful, interesting, and varied enough that it is worth coming back again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Donna. I do follow this blog. It has valuable info all the time. So does yours by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the post about The Blood-Red Pencil. I'm one of the contributing editors. We're always looking for suggestions on what you'd like us to cover, so feel free to ask questions or give us ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to add my thanks for recommending BRP! I too am a contributing editor. I wanted to mention specifically a fun feature: our Ask The Editor blog the first Tuesday of every month. Stop by and get your questions answered by working editors and published authors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Donna, I occasionaly contribute but always enjoy BRP!

    Scott Nicholson
    http://hauntedcomputer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Donna! This one was new to me, but I've got it bookmarked. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maryanne, Helen, Kathryn, and Soctt,
    Thanks to you ladies (and gentleman) for your contributions to BRP. It's a helpful site for writers.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Linda,
    Thanks. You are so sweet to write that.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lisa,
    You bet. Glad to spread the word.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great suggestions! I've linked to their blog.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...