Monday, April 27, 2009

A Question of Poetry - "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer

Today's forecast for St. Peters, MO: Chance of thunderstorms, high 75 degrees. Looks like Michael's baseball game this evening might be a washout.

With poetry month about to end, I thought it might be interesting to pose some questions about poetry:

Do you read it? Do you write it? Do you love it? Do you fear it? Do you have a favorite poem?

One of my favorites is a poem I learned in seventh or eighth grade at Most Holy Name of Jesus School in North St. Louis, Missouri. It's a simple poem, but one that touched me back then and one I still remember today. The poem is "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer.

TREES (1913) by Joyce Kilmer

"I think that I shall never see
a poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
a tree that looks at God all day,
and lifts her leafy arms to pray;
a tree that may in Summer wear
a nest of robins in her hair;
upon whose bosom snow has lain;
who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
but only God can make a tree."


(photo from Wikipedia)

Alfred Joyce Kilmer was killed in action in France in W.W.I, but his poetry lives on in the memories of people like me, who like this simple poem with its timeless message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...