Monday, February 4, 2013

Fast Food Funnies: Hey, McDonald's, Where's the Burger on Your Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger?

Yesterday on the way home from the grocery store, my grandson and I stopped at our nearby McDonald's drive-through. MickeyD's is Michael's favorite fast food restaurant--and I wanted to try their onion cheddar burger.

Before leaving the parking lot, I inventoried my order because I've learned that what I ordered doesn't always make it into the bag. 

Here's what I found:

One order of fries for Michael - Check
One McDouble burger for our dog Harley -Check
Two grilled onion cheddar burgers (one for Walt and one for me) - Check, Check
One soft drink for Michael - Check
One unsweetened iced tea for me - Check

After we got home, I cut up Harley's burger then unwrapped my sandwich, which felt a bit light, so I did another inventory:
Bun - Check
Grilled onions - Check
Cheddar cheese - Check
Burger - Missing in Action

After Walt opened his sandwich he found the same thing, or I should say found that his burger was also MIA.

We shook our heads and had a good laugh. I wish I'd taken a photo before tossing the mess in the trash. That burgerless grilled onion cheddar burger was quite a sight.

I almost didn't call the manager because the two burgers only cost $2, but I figured when you order a burger you should get some meat on your sandwich, right? I also figured the manager could use a laugh.

With a friendly voice I told the manager what happened. The young-sounding manager was very polite and apologetic. He asked if I could come back so they could make two more sandwiches -- which included the meat. With the Superbowl about to start I didn't want to run out again, so I told him I couldn't make it back last night.  He told me to let him know next time I come in and I would receive two free sandwiches.That seemed fair, and I think the manager handled the situation well.

Besides having a good laugh and a funny story to tell, on the positive side, I really shouldn't be eating a fried hamburger anyway. Maybe someone was looking out for my good health to make sure I avoid fatty foods.

How about you? Do you have any funny fast food stories to share?

11 comments:

  1. So many ... I have an old essay detailing some of the worst. I don't know about funny though. I get exasperated and worry about the education/training level of the workers. But one "funny" experience was when i asked for only six of whatever it was (maybe a box of nuggets) and was told I could not have a special order because they were boxed in only "half a dozen" per order. Another time my huband asked for an extra patty (which he usually does) and was told they couldn't sell him an extra patty because the register "doesn't have a button for that".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny? I don't think I have any humorous or so-sad-they're-funny stories, but I certainly enjoyed your story.

    Does Harley always get a burger, or was this a Super Bowl Sunday special?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the guy who took my order for a large pizza: half cheese, and half sausage, Canadian bacon, and bacon. "You don't want cheese on the other half?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcia,
    I'd love to read your essay. Just reading about your and Jim's experiences made me laugh.

    Hi Sioux,
    Harley gets a burger about once a week. He is such a good dog, and I have to admit I love to spoil him.

    Hi Val,
    Well duh. What was he thinking?

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too learned to check our order before driving away, but that missing burger really takes the...ahem...patty-cake. (Sorry-couldn't resist.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've checked the order but never unwrapped the packages before--hmmm, I guess we better start doing that, too? :) Funny story--I can't believe they made both of them with NO burger. WOW! Someone was really thinking about something else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's a sign of the times when all the fast food places keep "a book" of customer names who report missed items. Just call and tell them the order was wrong and they say "We'll put your name in the book" and next time you get a replacement.
    Like that is just expected procedure. One place I don't think has ever messed up - Chick-fil-A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who can explain THAT? I went through a fast food drive through and asked for a biscuit and egg with no meat. You'd have thought I was talking Martian. They couldn't grasp the concept. "So do you want bacon instead of sausage? Just sausage and egg?"It went on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tammy,
    Too funny!

    Hi Margo,
    I think they were thinking about the Super Bowl.

    Hi Marcia,
    Makes me wonder how many names are in the book.

    Hi Linda,
    Funny stuff.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. H'mm. I was thinking that menu item sounded pretty good. Guess if I order one I'd better take a peek at the finished product first!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved where they told Marcia there wasn't a button for that. I can't think of any funny stories right off, but we have many times got our orders messed up. We also try to check before leaving.

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...