Writing advice, publication opportunities, and thoughts on books, language, and life from Donna Volkenannt, winner of the Erma Bombeck Humor Award. Donna believes great stories begin in a writer's imagination and touch a reader's heart.
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Contest Announcement/Call for Submissions: Uncertain Promise, a Literary Anthology
The editors of Compass Flower Press, an imprint of AKA-Publishing in Columbia, MO, are sponsoring a contest and seeking submissions for a literary anthology to be published this fall.
Full disclosure: I am a board member of AKA Publishing
Here is some basic information about the call out. For complete guidelines, visit the AKA-Publishing website:
* Fiction and creative nonfiction submissions only (no
* Word limit: 3,000 per entry (sections from larger works will be accepted)
* First place $1,000
* Second place $500
* Third place $250
* No previously published work
* Submissions are read and evaluated anonymously by two editorial boards
* Deadline: May 10, 2014 NOTE: Deadline extended until May 25, 2014
* Planned publication date: October 2014
* Working title/theme: Uncertain Promise.
Examples of uncertain promise: an
unexpected outcome (joy, satisfaction, renewal, despair, emotional growth,
etc.) from an otherwise routine or mundane circumstance; an unspoken commitment
from a friend or lover falls through due to misunderstanding or unforeseen
happening; a career or future crashes—or ascends—depending on the outcome of a
single event. These are the editor's ideas, with encouragement for those submitting to "use your imagination and please interpret
broadly." * Submission does not guarantee acceptance
* Each published contributor receives a free copy of the
*Non-refundable entry fees:
*Electronic submissions $18 (US$) per entry (paid on website)
*Mailed submissions $15 (US$) per entry (paid by check or on website)
Entry form for the 2014 Anthology/Contest may be downloaded
at AKA-Publishing.com and
must be completed and accompany each entry.