Friday, November 15, 2013

NaNoWriMo Progress Report

In case you haven't noticed, I haven't been blogging much lately. That's because I'm elbow deep in writing a novel during National Novel Writing Month.

Today is the midpoint.

For those unfamiliar with NaNo, the goal is to write 50,000 words of a new novel during the month of November. That equates to 1,667 words a day.

Generally I'm a slow writer because I tend to edit and cut words as I go, but I'm trying my best to just let the words fly. It has worked to some degree, especially in the beginning. I didn't edit much except for quickly reviewing my the previous day's chapter and fixing tiny mistakes before proceeding to the next chapter.

My progress during week two has been slower. I found myself doing more re-reading of previous chapters along with editing and fixing of plot holes because my story is taking off in a new direction.

It's both fun and frustrating.

In addition to the stats provided by NaNo, I have a spreadsheet that breaks each chapter down by word count. I have a line entry on the spreadsheet for each chapter. The spreadsheet helps keep me organized and on track. The word counts on my spreadsheet are generally a bit shorter than how they're validated by NaNo, which is a good thing. Maybe they're giving me a 20-word bonus.

Now, for my progress report.

This morning I tallied the words on my spreadsheet and I've passed the 25K mark. Actually, I'm at 25,101.

So, at the half-way point I'm half way there.

This weekend is shaping up to be busy but I'm hoping to take some time to write some more.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Oh, if anyone has any extra words lying around they're not using, send them my way.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry, no extra words - I need all mine. :)

    I used to spend a chunk of time re-reading and/or re-writing what I did the session before, but this time around, I'm really limiting that. If I think the story's going in another direction, I make a note of it and/or I just start writing as if the story was already going that way.

    Keep going, Donna. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have word envy. I am far, far behind you. Hopefully I can get my word count up this weekend.

    Donna--You are on a roll. Keep the momentum going, and when November 30th hits, you will have a manuscript to show for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are doing well to me! I am afraid to try this for fear I would sit down to keyboard and go blank!!!! You do it and tell rest of us what advice you would give in the end....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going, Donna. You can do it! I'm an edit-as-I-go writer, too, and it is difficult to let go of that---I'll say control, for lack of a better word. But there are benefits to just rolling with the creative punch, and you'll be glad you did it. And then when NaNo is over you'll go back to your comfort zone, probably, but you'll know a lot more about yourself as a writer. At least that's how it worked for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, Donna. I had to take Thursday and Friday off from NaNo to catch up on some other chores. That means I'll be hitting it hard this weekend. As of Wednesday night, my word count was 21,837. Not sure I can catch up in two days, but I'll give it my best shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone who makes it this far is doing better than I've done in the past, but sounds to me like you're a little beyond the goal! Very impressive, and can't wait to see it in print.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY for you or as they used to say in NaNo - Woot! Woot! I finally caught up, but with Thanksgiving around the corner... who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, Donna. You'll get more words if you don't go back and read or edit. Just keep moving forward. Remember you'll have plenty of time to fix your manuscript on December 1!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go, Donna! I'm late checking in 'cause I've been writing--but you're in the home stretch. GO!

    ReplyDelete

Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V - Interviews with Lonnie Whitaker and Dr. Barri Bumgarner

Here is the second installment of interviews with contributors who have stories in Mysteries of the Ozarks, Volume V , from Ozark Writers, I...